HOw Can you Heal Codependency in Family Relationships and break unhealthy Patterns Established in Childhood?
That’s what we’re here to talk about today.
Codependency is a buzzword you might hear often, but it can be confusing and misunderstood.
My guest today is Brandi Merrill, she’s a life and recovery coach, a She Recovers coach, a licensed clinical social worker and a “boundary boss”. Brandi’s going to help us understand what codependency is (and is not) and how to break unhealthy patterns that may be sabotaging your health and happiness.
Codependency is an excessive reliance on other people for approval and sense of self.
It can cause you to worry about the lack of response from people, to feel anger about what you said or didn’t say in situations because you are relying on others for approval, not honor your own opinions and thoughts, and believe that putting yourself first is rude or selfish.
And codependency can make it challenging to set healthy boundaries, or cause guilt or anxiety when you do set them.
In this episode, Brandi and I talk about:
- The 4 steps to healing codependent behavior
- 7 signs of healing from codependency
- Why overly harsh or loose boundaries can cause you to avoid close relationships
- How and why codependency manifests in many family relationships
- How to break unhealthy patterns established in childhood as an adult
- The complicated relationship between codependent feelings and boundaries
The 4 steps to healing codependent behavior
- Increasing awareness – How do you contribute to codependency? What can you do differently to take your power back?
- Improving communication – changing how you communicate with people, setting boundaries unapologetically
- Editing self talk – Negative self talk is destructive to recovery. How can you reframe the words you are saying to yourself to be more constructive?
- Raising self awareness – pay close attention to your body and your feelings. Can you identify triggers that bring up feelings of anger, guilt, or resentment?
7 signs of healing from codependency
- You are comfortable being alone
- You are comfortable with sharing your opinions in relationships
- You make decisions for yourself and not for others
- You are comfortable with setting boundaries that serve your needs
- You can step back and respond to situations instead of just reacting to them
- You are comfortable with other people’s independence
- You no longer feel guilt for setting boundaries and letting go of unhealthy relationships
About Brandi Merrill
Brandi lives in Idaho and is a single mom to three amazing daughters. She’s a life and recovery coach, a She Recovers coach and a licensed clinical social worker who has provided counseling services for many years. Brandi is passionate about coaching and the transformations that are possible with the use of positive psychology and spirituality.
Her personal journey has been one of forgiveness, self love, becoming a boundary boss, and single parenting in recovery. She’s in recovery from alcohol and codependency and believes that anything is possible. Brandi is passionate about inspiring her clients to make the changes they desire and to live their best lives. Brandi also works closely with moms in recovery that have experienced loss, including time with their kids, divorce or death.
Show notes: www.hellosomedaycoaching.com/28
Links and resources mentioned:
Connect with Brandi Merrill
Connect with Casey McGuire Davidson
Listen to more podcast episodes to drink less + live more.
ABOUT THE HELLO SOMEDAY PODCAST
The Hello Someday Podcast helps busy and successful women build a life they love without alcohol. Host Casey McGuire Davidson, a certified life coach and creator of The Sober Girl’s Guide to Quitting Drinking, brings together her experience of quitting drinking while navigating work and motherhood, along with the voices of experts in personal development, self-care, addiction and recovery and self-improvement.
Whether you know you want to stop drinking and live an alcohol free life, are sober curious, or are in recovery this podcast is for you.
In each episode Casey will share the tried and true secrets of how to drink less and live more.
Learn how to let go of alcohol as a coping mechanism, how to shift your mindset about sobriety and change your drinking habits, how to create healthy routines to cope with anxiety, people pleasing and perfectionism, the importance of self-care in early sobriety, and why you don’t need to be an alcoholic to live an alcohol free life.
Be sure to grab the Free Sober Girl’s Guide To Quitting Drinking right here.
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode.
I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!