Feeling Bored in Sobriety? Here’s what to do.
- Are you worried that life without drinking will be boring?
- Or are you currently in early sobriety and feeling bored?
- Are you scared that you’ll never really have fun or let loose again without alcohol?
- Or wondering if you’ll lose all your friends and favorite activities if you don’t drink?
Here’s a secret: Almost all women who love to drink worry about being bored (or boring) without alcohol.
In this episode I’m going to talk about all the tips, tricks, suggestions and advice I have to make life without alcohol fun, comforting, interesting and gratifying.
I’ll talk about:
- Why drinking is actually keeping your life small, isolated (and boring).
- Why all of us have tunnel vision when we’re drinking. We see only the people and activities around us that are centered around alcohol (and look past all the other activities hiding in plain sight).
- What to do if you’re feeling bored in your first 15, 30 or 40 days and how to reframe your mindset about the important work you’re doing.
- Why there is NO CHANCE you’re “doing nothing” in early sobriety. Even if you feel like you are just taking baths, reading books, going to bed early and taking long, slow walks you are doing big, important work and emotional heavy lifting.
- Why part of the work of early sobriety is learning to sit with feeling “blah”.
- Why to ask yourself “What do I love MORE than wine?” [and why it’s OK if you can’t think of anything at all to answer that question].
- Why you should give yourself “assignments” to find joy and pleasure after you quit drinking.
- Examples and ideas of new passions, activities, pastimes and hobbies from other women who have stopped drinking & found joy and excitement without it.
- Why vision boards of future adventures and travel (Coffee in Paris? Bike tour in Amsterdam? Hiking in Greece?) can be a powerful way to get excited about your fun life in sobriety.
- How to edit your social media accounts to inspire you about how good life can be without alcohol vs. making you feel like you’re missing out on something (or everything).
- How to meet new friends who don’t drink and have new adventures without alcohol.
- And why it’s up to you to make things happen in your life. It’s both a responsibility and an invitation.
If you’re still reading and you want the quick answers now, here they are:
- No. Life without drinking isn’t boring. I’m not lying to you. It’s actually really good. You will like it!
- Yes. It’s pretty normal to feel bored in early sobriety, but it’s kind of related to not being used to feeling calm or peace. The feeling of things being too quiet or empty does pass.
- Don’t be scared. I promise you will have so much fun in life without alcohol. Your life will get bigger and more open and exciting and joyful without drinking.
- No. You won’t lose all your friends if you don’t drink but you will likely find new and better favorite activities or even enjoy the same old ones in new ways.
You’ve got this.
Life without drinking is not smaller. It’s not boring.
It’s big and exciting and beautiful and you will have the time and energy to go after your dreams.
And if you’re not there yet I’m here to hold your hand and walk you through the quiet times until you’re ready for good stuff ahead.
Links and Resources mentioned in this episode
Check out my previous episode with the authors of The Sober Lush: A Hedonist’s Guide to Living a Decadent, Adventurous, Soulful Life–Alcohol Free, Amanda Eyre Ward + Jardine Libaire here
Listen to my episode on how to find friends in sobriety.
Download the Guide to my Favorite Secret Facebook Groups For Women Quitting Drinking.
Download The Vision Board Starter Kit.
Connect with Casey McGuire Davidson
Listen to more podcast episodes to drink less + live more.
ABOUT THE HELLO SOMEDAY PODCAST
The Hello Someday Podcast helps busy and successful women build a life they love without alcohol. Host Casey McGuire Davidson, a certified life coach and creator of The Sober Girl’s Guide to Quitting Drinking, brings together her experience of quitting drinking while navigating work and motherhood, along with the voices of experts in personal development, self-care, addiction and recovery and self-improvement.
Whether you know you want to stop drinking and live an alcohol free life, are sober curious, or are in recovery this podcast is for you.
In each episode Casey will share the tried and true secrets of how to drink less and live more.
Learn how to let go of alcohol as a coping mechanism, how to shift your mindset about sobriety and change your drinking habits, how to create healthy routines to cope with anxiety, people pleasing and perfectionism, the importance of self-care in early sobriety, and why you don’t need to be an alcoholic to live an alcohol free life.
Be sure to grab the Free Sober Girl’s Guide To Quitting Drinking right here.
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode.
I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!